The camp opened in September 1959 with the entry of 100 boys from the St. Kilda Inspectorate. The official opening on the 27th of November, 1959 was carried out by the then Governor of Victoria, His Excellency, Sir Dallas Brooks.
The camps alternated boys camps with girls until in August 1976 when four new dormitory blocks (replacing all the sleeping huts) were used for the first time. This enabled the camps to become coeducational with 80 girls and 80 boys attending at the same time.
In the following years the camp has continued to be upgraded with additions such as an exciting Environmental Studies / Art Complex, an Indoor Rock Climbing facility and a range of high quality outdoor adventure activities.